Insight: Gabby St. Amand


Insight: Gabby St. Amand

Gabby and I met at Hamilton High School, a socially colorful school in the Castle Heights neighborhood within the Westside of Los Angeles. With her contagiously warm(and wheezy)laugh, Gabby is always down for literally whatever. Even if it potentially means driving from her cute home in the hills of City Terrace to Malibu at 5 p.m. on a Tuesday. 

As long as she's got her slow jams, a cigarette to hang out of her window in the sun & an iced mocha, she's game. 

At this point she's definitely sounding like a typical LA girl, which she is, but don't get it twisted. Gabby keeps things neutral, positive & real. I am very lucky to have her as a friend & have always loved her personal style as well. So, when visiting for my bachelorette party this last summer, I looked forward to seeing her newly bought house! I wasn't surprised to see how amazing the renovations turned out & was excited to see how she implemented her style in her new nest. 

Who is Gabby?


 "I mean, I'm basically just trying to live and die in LA." 

Age: 26

Job: Photography Studio Manager 

What area of Los Angeles did you grow up in? 

G: I grew up in West LA - Cheviot Hills 

Where do you live today? 

G: I went from west to east! I'm currently in City Terrace but I'm still a west girl at heart.


Have you lived anywhere else? If so, what brought you back to LA?

G: I lived in Eugene, Oregon for 4 years when I was in college. I thought about staying in Oregon after school but ultimately I wanted to move back to LA to be closer to my family. After I graduated, I moved all over LA actually. From Beverly Hills adjacent (literally that was the name of the neighborhood...)to West Hollywood and finally City Terrace. 




Everyone seems to have their own opinion on LA, how do you feel about the city overall? Pros? Cons? 

G: I know people think LA is ridiculous, judgmental and overrated. And to be honest, it kind of is. But I fucking love it. The best part of LA to me, is that no matter how long you've lived here, you'll still always find something new and interesting that you've never seen before. This city is truly never ending and I will most likely spend the rest of my life exploring it.


How would you say LA has shaped who you are today? 

G: As textbook as this may sound, I think the diversity of this city has truly shaped me into who I am today. Because there are so many kinds of cultures here, I've been able to see and understand different lifestyles on very intimate levels.

Where do you draw inspiration from, whether that be for your interior decorating, fashion or lifestyle in general? 

G: Expanding on the previous question, I'd say my style stems from all the different cultures. I like to call it a "classy eclectic" style. I tend to buy simple furniture or clothes and then spice them up with colorful decorations/accessories.


What's your process when trying to hunt down that must-have item for your home? 

G: I work in the e-Commerce industry so it's part of my job to browse online stores. It takes me a long time to complete one room, slowly collecting each item. My process is never ending, I'm constantly moving things around, redecorating, or upgrading my old IKEA furniture. I love finding a good deal for something that looks way more expensive than it is as well. For example, one of my favorite buys is the rug in my kitchen that I got for $30 on a overstock clearance sale. 




What's your favorite small trinket laying around? 

G: My all time favorite trinket is my grandpa's pilot wings from when he was in the Royal Air Force during WWII. I actually have this tattooed on me as well.


What would you say is your best furniture purchase? Where did ya snag it from? 

G: My favorite piece is actually my grandma's hope chest that was given to me when we sold my grandparent's house. My grandma used to keep all of her most special things in that chest - including her wedding dress. When growing up, it was always my favorite thing to look through when I would spend time at their house. 

When designing your home, what were some goals you were trying to accomplish? 

G: I was fortunate enough to purchase my home a little over a year ago. Before I moved in, I was able to remodel the kitchen into my dream kitchen - white subway tile with a grey grout, open kitchen shelves and a beautiful big window with tons of natural light. I couldn't have asked for anything better! Being a homeowner, I am able to change any aspect of my house - so my house will be ever evolving! 



What's your favorite thing to do in LA? (cliché, I know) 

G: I love finding new places to eat all around the city!


Three things that make the West Coast the best coast? 

G: 1. Perfect weather (even though I complain about how it's too hot or too cold almost every day) 

2. The vast landscape - beaches, mountains, deserts 

3. The culture

 Gabby's Los Angeles boundaries map tattoo.

Gabby clearly knows what she likes but let's give a little credit to her parents. This is their incredible home in Cheviot Hills, where I was lucky enough to spend time at during summer breaks or after school. I will also point out that Gabby's father is a very brilliant architect. 





Yes, the have turtles living in their backyard.